Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2015

How NOT to Treat an Injury.......

Any Type Of Exercise Is Putting Pressure On Your Body
Image Courtesy Of: Cool Running

Everyone knows that when you get hurt you should rest and heal, but does every one really follow that? No, and especially not me during my last injury.


About a year ago I was in Las Vegas competing in Youth America Grand Prix, which is the biggest ballet competition world wide. I spent the first day there watching the other dancers in amazement. I had never seen anything even close to how amazing the other competitors were, so I knew the pressure was on.

The next day was when I was competing. I only had one number so put all of my focus into that. Back stage everyone was excited and nervous at the same time, but I knew I just had to get through that one number.

The lights hit the stage and it was showtime..... I began the piece with a huge smile on my face. I had practiced the piece a lot so had all the movement in my body,  but in the middle of the piece I slipped. My point shoe twisted to the side and I felt a huge pain in my ankle... I knew I had to get through the piece. I had been preparing for such a long time and could not let my teammates down. So I pushed through it.

After the piece I limped off stage and went straight to see if I had some kind of brace or wrap in my bag. I knew it was serious so just sat there for a while.

The next day all the competing was over. Though the program provided an amazing day of classes with extraordinary professional. Sadly all I could do was sit there and watch.

We got home and I continued with school and tried to rest my ankle as much as possible. I came into my dance studio on that Wednesday night and saw that we were having a masterclass the next day by an outstanding company from New York. Despite my injuries I decided to participate in the master class, which was a BIG mistake. Towards the end of the class we were running the piece they taught us and I tripped and ended up twisting my other ankle.

After that I spoke with my parents and dance teachers. We decided I really needed to rest and heal. I was out of dance for about a month and was struggling to regain strength in my ankles for another four to five months.

I realized it is so important to take care of your body. Also to listen to your body when it is in pain and not push your limits. Now I am more careful and know what to do when I get injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment