Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

The First Step

  My First Solo
Image Courtesy Of: Elisa Slobodow

As I said before every story has a beginning. This is what I believe is the beginning of mine. When I was in fourth grade I was given the opportunity to do a solo for that competition season. I was extremely excited about it! It took me months to pick out the perfect song, learn my routine, get a nice costume, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Next it was time to compete! That competition season only consisted of three competitions, so I knew I had to make them worth while.

At the first competition I arrived late and was rushed to get ready. When I made it back stage no one knew where my music was. My mom ended up running around the theater looking for my teacher who had an extra copy on her. We were able to get my music just in time, I entered the stage shaking with fear. The piece started out well. Until about half way though at the part were I was supposed to kick my stool (The one in the picture above) about a foot away and running back to it. I ended up kicking my stool off the stage! It landed with a load BANG! I ended the dance with no stool to sit on and quivering with embarrassment.

At the second competition I was feeling good and prepared. Until I looked at the program and realized I was performing on the slippery gym floor. The piece actually ended up great and I placed really well. After the performance I went outside to a vendor to by some cotton candy and head home. That night I became extremely sick and in the morning my mom told me I should just stay home and not go to the group competition day. But I refused and sucked it up.

At the third and last competition we spent the whole day driving since the competition was six hours away. We got there with plenty of time to spare, I saw the big stage and was ecstatic! I entered the stage knowing this was my last chance and I was going to do great. The music started up and I got ready, but as the first few words began I had no clue what I was doing and what my routine was. All I knew is I had to stay on that stage so I sat up on my stool and went for it. I improved the whole thing! I knew what the steps were just not in the right order. I leaped and twirled around the stage until the music ended and I left with tears running down my face.

Each competition was a new learning experience! I have to say that I haven't eaten cotton candy since but besides that I have moved on and am now facing other challenges. I never have and never will forget the competition season. I use those mistakes to make myself and better dancer every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment